February 21, 2013

Rainforest Wraith: Reading David Foster Wallace in the Amazon

David Foster Wallace is probably not the best literary companion for fieldwork in the Amazon. And I’m not just talking about the brick-like girth and serious heft of Infinite Jest. I checked it out of a public library before purchasing and decided I’d be better off, given exotic travel considerations, with the eBook, which I bought and downloaded to my iPod for an expedition among the Kayapó of southern Pará in the Brazilian Amazon. 


Even on the tiny illuminated screen of this wafer-thin device, totaling 7780 bite-sized pages turbocharged for efficiency with searchable text and hyperlinks among wormhole-like footnotes-within-footnotes, Infinite Jest makes for heavy reading. 


It is especially incongruous bedtime fare after a day of tropical heat and colorful festivities in a native village. On the one hand, indigenous societies like the Kayapó, with their powerful sense of group identity and collective purpose reinforced through spectacular public ceremonies, would appear immune to -- even an antidote to -- the kind of mental, electronic and pharmaceutical "cages" that are central to Infinite Jest. And yet as the Kayapó and other indigenous peoples become increasingly connected to global society and dependent on Western technology, one wonders how far off the addictions of modernity really are


During several passages of the book I felt physically ill and had to put the device away: the claustrophobic screen and jarring cultural dislocation only intensified my queasy response to the manically unspooling language. But I got hooked on the double binds and dizzying plot spirals, the tragicomic pathos of Wallace’s characters and a tantalizing if mercilessly denied promise of narrative resolution. I just had to find out whether the wheelchair-bound Canadian terrorists succeed in weaponizing a fatally addictive "Entertainment" cartridge, and how bad a DMZ trip Hal is in for. (Spoiler alert: Oh well...)

And so on the last day of March, I dismissed myself from the nocturnal orations of Kayapó chiefs and immersed myself in the tent for an hours-long slog. I finally collapsed in frustrated exhaustion only to be visited, Scrooge-like, by my tormentor’s ghost: 

"Last night certainly less than princess-level sleeping conditions contributed to a spectacular suite of dreams not to mention the fact that I slept nearly 12 hrs. In the first part I ran into some professors, maybe Nancy S. or Beth C. or David A. I saw them talking w/ a shadowy personage they called ‘Dave’ who kept reappearing throughout the dream just out of my reach. I couldn’t figure out whether this was Dave Eggers or whether it was the ghost of David F. Wallace. When the profs told me they had been speaking w/Dave, I said, ‘Why didn’t you tell me? He’s one of my favorite writers!’


"But I discovered that he had left behind a singular kind of basket or bag, triangular in shape w/ a very narrow opening [and according to the sketch in my journal, a loop-like double handle], at first it didn’t seem to open at all. The womb-like format was not lost on me even in the dream state. Inside were scraps of paper on which Dave had outlined a new novel or rather a revolutionary new novelistic technique which included a chorus-like precocious annunciation of themes that allowed the author to assert an authorial voice without losing himself in mirror-like self-reflection. There were further plot details that now escape. The name for this revolutionary new DFW/DE technique was, of all things, menire, which means ‘girls’ in Kayapó!” 

After jotting down these hasty notes the next morning I realized it was April Fools’: I guess the Jest was on me. 


  ---

In Memoriam:
 February 21st, 2013 would have been David Foster Wallace's 51st birthday.


See also: "Infinite Grace: An interview with Caetano W. Galindo on his translation of 'Infinite Jest' into Brazilian Portuguese"




Previous post, January 27, 2013:
"The Sound of No Salinger" 
Remembering J.D. Salinger three years after his death


6 comments:

  1. Great read. And strangely enough I came across this post on 1 April. What can it all mean? One thing's for sure, I'm heading out to get Infinite Jest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meaningful coincidence, to be sure! Thanks for taking the time to comment, I'm glad you enjoyed the piece and especially glad to turn you on to Infinite Jest. However readers (and viewers) beware: there is no escape from that narrative labyrinth. Once you've finished I'll be curious to hear your response, and can guide you through the necessary 12-Step recovery process... Thanks again, Glenn

      Delete
  2. Que história linda! É maravilhoso quando sonhamos com algo que nos parece tão real. E como você escreve bem, amei!
    Glenn, o que significa DFW/DE technique was? Tentei achar na net, mas não encontrei.
    Tatiany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigado Tatiany, as vezes os sonhos são mesmo incríveis. DFW é abreviação do autor David Foster Wallace que hoje faria 52 anos de idade se não fosse pela sua morte trágica. DE é abreviação de outro autor "David" famoso, Dave Eggers. A técnica foi só algo que sonhei. Mas quem sabe algum dia consigo aplicar a técnica no meu próprio romance... Obrigado de novo pelo comentário. Compartilhe! Glenn

      Delete
  3. Glenn, olá. Ia postar em inglês mas vi que você já está fluente em ptbr, mail hall. Meu ponto: sou jornalista, morei em Ourilândia/ Tucumâ/ Carajás, de onde saí há um ano para voltar a Minas Gerais, de onde naturalmente sou. Durante meu trabalho no norte, fiz contato com diversas tribos - em especial a Kayapó. Conheci inclusive o cacique da sua primeira foto (fiz um filme na aldeia dele). E, bem, sou um grande fã de DFW. Já li praticamente tudo o que ele publicou (exceto o Pale King) e estou ansioso por ler o IJ em pt, que aí vem. De modo que este seu texto me diz respeito. Muito. E parabéns pela entrevista com o Galindo. -- Regards, Edson Junior

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muito obrigado Edson: que prazer encontrar alguem que compartilha interesses tão diversos porem compartilhados! Estou saindo da terra Kayapó também agora, para variar. Fique em contato, Glenn

    ReplyDelete